Feb-June 2016: We skipped ahead/over a few things, but the reading continued throughout…
FEBRUARY 2016: @ Marie’s (no Viviane or Karen C)
Karen S’s pick: Abide with Me by Elizabeth Strout
- available in the library (unlike other Strout titles first sought)
- short enough for the available reading time
- intrigued by the Congregational church aspect (she grew up in one)
Our Basic Input
- story/writing so ‘burdened’ = hard to delve into
- father SO disconnected from daughter = ugh, dark, bleak
- final redemption was quite nice (and nicely done), but too short/small a portion of the book
- writing- so clear, so easy to feel/relate to dad’s feelings
MARCH 2016: Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (Marie’s pick). Who has notes?
APRIL 2016: Fortune Smiles, Johnson (Kitty’s pick). Notes, anyone?
MAY 2016: No meeting. And yet the world did not come to a screeching halt.
JUNE 2016: @ Mary’s w/Karen S, Kitty, Shelley, Sue, Liz and Katie
Sue’ pick: That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo
- tried other Russo books, but impending release made them all impossible to check out of the library
- picked a short, older title from her bookshelf to get that Russo fix
Our Basic Input
- Russo can turn a phrase!
- but, this was a steady tone of ‘blah’ and so rather a downer
- Horrible Mom speaking from the dead = gallows humor & funny; was it really how she was or just his perception? we couldn’t be sure
- Words to NOT live by: ‘Can’t afford it. Wouldn’t take it if I was given it.’
- Russo’s parody/attack of academe (via the parents’ horrible house rental antics and reverse snobbery) was very clever
- although the way they covered their shame & poverty with hutzpah & brassiness was rather sad in the end
- 2x yearly they strove for perfection: Christmas and vacation/summer house; rest of the year was a Hot Mess
- Sunny & Marguerite served as clear counterpoints for the two kinds of love and relationship that were quite different than Jack & his wife (which was just grin & bear it; missed communication)
Next Meeting – & hopefully more robust notes: July 19th @ Liz’s