November 2016 @ China Gourmet – our big night out!
Shelley, Liz, Mary, Marie, Kitty, & Yours Truly
Pre Chat: Lots of catching up & empathy on family health issues…some rather TBD (Katie’s dad), some impressively & lightheartedly long-lived (Mary’s mom), and some a bit icky and fortunately short-acting (Liz’s offspring).
Oh, the conundrum of menu narrowing & entrée selection. We prevailed. Deliciously. After the waitress checked on us – oh so nicely – 3x!
Book Talk: Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger
Shelley picked it by perusing reviews & noting the setting is 1961 (birth year). Impressions & Inputs:
- some trouble with suspension of disbelief since one 13-year-old boy, Frank, was responsible for so many key decisions that impacted so many people over a long-ish period of time
- The Bartender’s Tale had charm & grim reality; this was just pretty bleak, overall…it needed more quirky, a few more twists of flat-out crazy, or shots of levity
- we hated Doyle for good reason
- we mostly disliked the mom Ruth, too (shallow, selfish, living in the past & rather a stage mom)
- Jake = very likeable and realistic
- Nathan’s/Dad’s job as pastor made it reasonable that this family would know so much about so many situations
- Warren – intriguingly bitter
- the concept of grace was handled deftly in terms of showing a realistic span of how different people try to live, share, display grace
- pastor: ignore/damp down war PTSD; keep calm & carry on
- Jake: allowing others to ignore/deride him – to a point; kind to himself
- also a good job showing poor examples (boyfriend’s parents)
DESSERT: Thanks to Hege, we had SUPER YUMMY Norwegian chocolate. So thoughtful. AND she sent us ‘Literary Listography – My Reading Life in Lists.’
The first list is My Top 20 Most Beloved Books. So let’s do this…
Leave a comment with your utmost BELOVED BOOK.
Next Meeting: The Holiday TEA Party @ Liz’s
Sunday, December 11th 2:30-5:30.
Bring bubbly & a smashingly posh & delish nibble to share.
January book: Katie’s pick tba. Location tba.