Bootleg September 2016 @ Viviane’s House – ALL in ATTENDANCE!!!
Daily Life (Chatter)
- National Book Festival in DC (Liz & Sue): Stephen King, Richard Russo, signings, lines, fun, dinner
- …AND they bought 3 mom-of-groom dresses (Nordstrom!)
- Sue’s dress photo (none of the above) – selected by Stacey; gorgeous!!!
- Mary got a new FLIP phone; she’s so FLEEK
- Karen S: June/Glacier; July/Capon Springs, WV; Aug/Canada; Sept/here…slumming
- Summer not over – humidity remains (Katie happy. Anyone else?)
- Driving in super heavy rain = bad. Whiteout fog? Worse.
- Kirstie (Shelley’s int’l worker bee): Snap Chat Queen of Toronto, among other things
- Karen S’s boys – all appear to be walking on sunshine
Surreal Life (Deeper Chatter)
- Katie – updated on Dad (he survived pneumonia; time to address tumor again, soon)
- Viviane – her sister could leave Venezuela as soon as niece is legal resident of Canada! [more below]
Dinner Conversation – all seated at the lovely table
- pumpkin ravioli – yum! (it’s STILL not full-on autumn, though)
- long update on the situation in Venezuela: disappeared people, stress (but lying about it), hunger, shortages, fear…WTF?
- recommended reads: The Emperor of All Maladies (Viviane), Persepolis [graphic novel] (Kitty), The Invoice (Katie)
Karen Castle picked it because she owned it (from her mom who also recommended it).
- – it was surreal for Katie to be reading it while seeing the Bromo Seltzer tower & trying to keep Dad alive (cancer, etc.)
- – so many ethical breeches clear with modern era hindsight!
- – as much about the Lacks family as the evolution of research ethics and informed consent
- -Skloot did a masterful job of simplifying but not dumbing down the science
- – yes, Skloot became part of the story…but thank goodness she did…otherwise the Lacks family could STILL be in the dark about so much
- – Sue says audio version offers a fantastic interview with Skloot
- – Deborah’s attitude of ‘don’t take your anger into history’ was impressive and hard to imagine doing, but it’s how she survived and even improved
- it’d be nice for Hopkins to do something for at least a few Lacks family members (not sure what…but a lecture series does not seem quite enough)
- – Deborah finding out about her sister!!! Oh. My. Goodness. (and another gift from Skloot & that one doctor)
- – thank goodness for the researcher who finally showed the Lacks cells to Deb and her bro
- – Henrietta seemed to really have a special spark (even with ‘revisionist history/glowing memories’); did that actually connect to her super-powered telomeres in her cells???
NEXT BOOK: The Dinner by Herman Koch (Viviane’s pick)
NEXT MEETING: October 26 @ Shelley’s House (yes, a Wednesday)